12.08.2006

Are you a people, too?

Power to the People!
I went to a concert last night at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, NY. Nine amazing musicians (two of whom come regularly to our slow session), spent an evening sharing songs, tunes, stories and folklore from the Adirondack region and the world. There should have been a campfire in the middle of it all...building codes be damned! It was great, and it was exactly the way this tradition should be shared: from person to person. Folk music is the same the world over: made by the people for the people about their stories, their lives, their loves, and their joys and sorrows. What is so exciting is that evenings like these, with many, many talented local, regional, and professional musicians, are happening all over the world, every single night of the week!

I hope you'll stick with me...
This blog is for my friends at the Old Songs slow session, and anyone else who's got an interest in traditional Irish music. Even though we're just focusing on learning tunes at the session, I want to encourage you to read and listen and look around and meet people who are doing what you're doing. Visit the links below for ideas and connections. I'll post concerts I think you should know about, and I'll include my listening suggestions, and I want to hear yours, too.

I'm no expert, that's for sure, but I'm trying to do my part in passing the tradition along: I'll give you the tunes I've got, the bits and pieces of stories and information that get shared around, some recommendations on music, and some tips on playing as I get them from the masters who let me pay to watch what they do with their bow hand....um, when they play...ahhh..oh, dear, that did not come out right....but you know what I mean. I'll share what I learn, if I can. So, you're all welcome to our slow session. We're focusing specifically on Irish music, and trying to do as much as we can to practice our new tunes or instruments by ear.

Ah, well, in the meantime: stay warm, practice lots, and keep the faith! This is the people's music, and everyone can play (one bodhran at a time, though, OK?). -- Hilary

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
p.s. I want to thank my friend and co-leader Colleen for giving me the courage to start (and maintain) this session. And to my friend Karen who comes faithfully to the session, records all our tune lists, and keeps on plugging away at the music. You are my inspiration! Thanks also to the pros who take the time to come and make the session a success (you know who you are), and I do mean Thank You all so very much!

No comments: