1.29.2008

Random...

I don't want you to think I forgot about you! Trusty and I have been working on a demo, and the experience has made us very much aware of our human frailties -- we make the same mistake over and over, even if we've practiced the corrections over and over; I get the intonation wrong on a passage...over and over; we fail to use all the variations or ornaments we'd planned on because that microphone staring us in the face is more terrifying than we'd counted on. Sure, you waltz in the first night thinking "How hard can this possibly be? We'll sit down, get tuned up, and blast through all 15 tracks in one night."

Yeh. Right.

So, it's been a slow go, but a great learning experience. If anything, I've left each session feeling more confident, and having a stronger sense of musicial direction. In fact, it's been easier to practice lately. I don't feel so daunted by the enormous amount of tunes there are to learn or to listen to. I've spent a few afternoons recently in front of the computer just letting my iTunes play while I play along. I have lots of CDs loaded on my computer, and I alphabetize the tracks, and just go. There's this great randomness to it.

It's been a challenge to keep up with the likes of Jimmy Noonan and the Kane sisters. It's been fun playing those groovy swoopy tracks from Martin Hayes & Dennis Cahill's recording. And playing the old style with Breda or Claire Keville or Pat O'Connor or Kitty Hayes. So cool.

I bought Trusty a nifty little mp3 player for Christmas, and we've been downloading the podcasts for all the Trad shows from Clare FM (http://www.clarefm.ie/) and listening to them as we tool around town. I highly recommend this for a couple of reasons: 1. it's random (my theme o' the day), 2. you're unlikely to have every single recording on their play list (unless you're Gary Martin or Bob Gaesser), and 3. it brings tunes to mind that you didn't know you wanted to learn. One broadcast can send you off in a completely different direction than you thought you were going. And it gives you all kinds of ideas for linking sets of tunes together. Very good for getting ready for slow session!

Don't forget, slow session is two weeks from tomorrow. I think Karen will be with us, and George will be back from some sunny clime (he missed January because he was in the Caribbean), but I don't know that Colleen will be joining us as she's been under the weather, but everyone send good wishes in her direction that she'll be healing quickly and feeling better soon. We miss you, Colleen!

I'm hoping to see Sean and Jeff back, and Jennifer and Fritz!, and I know Pete will be there, if I can just remember to send him the darn lists I promised to mail out. I'm hoping that a couple of Nickelharpe players will join us (Peter and Debbie), and they're mad for Irish waltzes (JEFF, ARE YOU LISTENING?)....also, looking forward to having Leanne and Jim back, as well as Caroline (so nice to see you earlier this month!) and Elaine (grand, as always!). We had a new gent visit in January, but I feel so terrible, I don't remember his name. If you're reading this, please pipe up and remind me!

Well, all, I hope you're enjoying the cold weather, and the opportunity to practice! Don't be afraid of it. Just pick something you really like to play and play it! Get that instrument in your hands as often as possible. Hey, they've figured out that exercising for even as little as five minutes at a time can benefit you. Why can't you treat practicing that way? Just pick it up, play two tunes, put it away and go cook some dinner. Don't stress on it! You love this stuff!!!! Remember?

Catch you soon, and I hope I catch you playing...

The Trad

No comments: