3.06.2008

Keep your hands where I can see them!

Yeah, this whole blogging thing is fun and all, but what's really cool? Reading other people's blogs. In case you can't tell by the way I look, I like two things: music....and food. Anyway, while Trusty is working away at some tune or other, I guility (and voraciously) read food blogs.

I just found one that I'm in love with: The Wednesday Chef. Also 52 Cupcakes (http://52cupcakes.blogspot.com/) ...and Bee boppin' the Boroughs (http://beeboppinnyc.blogspot.com/)! Beebopp has a craft blog, too, but I can't find the link.

Wednesday is fabu for his way of thinking, and his really great view of food in the world! 52 is the Queen of Cupcakes (she bakes a different kind every week, and blogs about it). Yeah. I have one muffin recipe I make for Trusty. He takes them to work. Therein lieth his devotion to me. Until Dunkin' Donuts has their pumpkin muffins, and then I'm on my own for a month. Beebopp is who I wanted to be at 22, and wasn't.

I did spend the last year of school (I stayed an extra year to get an extra bit of a degree at Uni) wandering the far-flung parks and fields of greater Buffalo. I used to wander from my apartment near UB's south campus across town to Buff State and the Albright-Knox Art Museum. I found a lot of little shops, hole-in-wall coffee places, took photographs, hung out with ducks in parks. Ah, the sweet freedom of spending an entire Saturday (and sometimes Sunday) just wandering the city with noone waiting for me to be responsible for any-damn-thing-at-all! It's too bad blogs didn't exist back then. I really should've written about it for the Generation. But that would have been an organized and forward-thinking thing to do. Didn't have that in my repertoire back then.

As for music blogs, I'm loathe to recommend very many, because they're all like mine. Self-absorbed, self-indulgent, and sort of pedantic in some cases. I did just discover David Byrne's blog, though, and it's bright, insightful, funny, and very aware of more than just music in the world: http://journal.davidbyrne.com/. Check it out. This man is smart! Best show I ever saw, by the way, was David Byrne (just slightly pre-Rei Momo, I think) at Massey Hall in Toronto. The band hit the stage running, and Byrne salsa-ed, merengue-ed, and latin pop-ed himself all over the damn stage like a crazyman! And the horn section.....yeaaaahhhhhhh..... Ahem. Anyway...

While it's unlikely that I'm going to run off and start playing all kinds of other music, I'm finding it very refreshing to stop, look and listen around me at art, crafts, music, literature, food...you know...the cool stuff we're doing with our own two hands!

I think I'll go bake cupcakes....

The Trad

No comments: