9.21.2008

Clare Night was just a start...

Thanks to those who came to slow session in September! My presentation about Clare was a resounding failure! But that's only because I wasn't sure how to prepare. I knew I should have started with a county less familiar to me than Clare. I had way to much to say and didn't want to bore people with it, so it pretty much ended up being a kind of pathetic little thing.

In any case, I want to say thank you to those who came for giving some thought to the differences in style and repertoire of two ceili bands whose recordings we listened to. I'm still formulating my thoughts on that, and will continue to research and prepare a little presentation for later in the year. I do promise that Kerry night will be much more fun and better organized! I also know that a few people are planning to bring some sheet music for some slides and polkas we've worked on in the past or that they've been working on over the last few months. It should be fun to look at that, as well as learn about some of the other well-known musicians, singers and storytellers from that beautiful county.

If you went to Irish 2000, I hope you had a more relaxed and less fragmented time than we did! I will say that we had a blast collaborating with Bairbre McCarthy in the couple of sets we did, and we hope to do of that in the future. With Bairbre's permission, I'll be posting one or two of the pieces we did together on our myspace page soon. We also met a friend who plays accordion and had a nice little session, even with the rock stage blasting in our ears. A few real trad tunes always make the day, in my opinion.

In the meantime, have a grand remainder of the weekend. I'm going to take a nap now!

The Trad

No comments: