5.14.2009

Grand Tunes, Ladies & Gents!

Guys and gals, Last night was brilliant! We had a good crowd and some great tunes on the table. No listening corner this month, and probably not next either. But I think people have stuff in their CD players, and are enjoying what they're doing.

I especially appreciate Trusty for his willingness to listen to the accompanists, encourage everyone, and keep the rhythm section pretty much on the same page! Thanks, Babe, you rock!

Also, special thanks to Phil for singing his song "Old Songs." We've been really lucky to have Phl join us over the past year, and we always enjoy his songs. We can't wait to hear what you cook up for us next month!

A thousand welcomes to Paul and Charlie...and MIKE! Mike -- I'm so sorry I forgot to put you in my e-mail. It was great to have you there.

Last night, I had a little glitch with my flash drive and wasn't quite ready with my photocopies, so the gang played Gentle Maiden to start (We miss you Jeff!). Then we worked on a set of reels: Dunmore Lasses (emin)/The Peeler's Jacket (The Flannel Jacket) (gmaj).

David and Dave suggested a set of Jigs: Tatterjack Walsh (dmix) and The Cook in the Kitchen (3-part) (gmaj). While I ran to make photocopies, the gang played one of our regular session sets of reels, which we ended with a rousing round of Cooley's Reel!

FYI, gang: June's session will be on Wed. June 10. There will be no July session, because it falls during Catskills Irish Arts Week. I'm so pleased to hear that more and more of my compadres from Old Songs are traveling the light years to East Durham to join us this year! Wait 'til you guys hear what happens in singing sessions! Whoo-eeee!

Next month's tunes will be as follows:
Reels: The Four Courts, The Mossy Banks
Jigs: A Patrick Ourceau classic set -- The Goat on the Green/The Pipe on the Hob

Also, Trusty and I and Colin Harte (forthwith known as Whippersnapper) will be hosting a session next Thursday, May 21 at 8:00 PM downtown in Albany at McGeary's Pub on Pearl. Come on out, have a pint with us, and celebrate Dave and Allison's anniversary.... ;-) See you all soon!

The Trad

No comments: