8.16.2007

Tanglewood Schmanglewood

Yeah. We played Tanglewood last night. Pshhhh. Weren't nuthin'. I can do that anytime I want. Phhttt. Whatever.

[silence]


[followed by bursts of laughter]


OK, I Lied!!!!! It was so cool!!!!! We had such a great time! We met so many great people! WOW! Yeah, baby, that's what I'm talkin' bout!

Anyway, we were asked to play by one of BSO's own violinists, so the quartet was made up of Bonnie, Bass-man Ben (also of the BSO), Trusty Companion, and Yours Truly. We had a rollicking good time up there on the steps of the Main House, which overlooks only one of the greatest views I've ever seen (at a gig certainly, but no, pretty much anytime -- it was gorgeous). I tell you this mainly because I want to brag on them. Bonnie and Ben are consummate musicians, really fun to work with, and have a great ear for the music. It was a real pleasure to be asked to join them.

We had a lot of fun playing tunes together, and hearing each other's favorites. Bonnie played a delightfully bittersweet waltz, called Josephine's, which I think I understand is Swedish. Jeff, our slow session waltz man*, and I agree we should work on it in September. Jeff has heard a recording of Alisdair Fraser playing it. It is also on a Natalie MacMaster recording. I know Dervish recorded it on "At the End of the Day." It is also on their compilation album "Decades". I personally know of it because I heard Vasen, a Swedish group, play it both live and on recordings.

*Note to Jeff: Bring your recording of Alisdair so we can hear it. I'll try to get my hands on Vasen's version...if anyone has the Dervish version, please bring it in September. We'll have a listening party.

By the way, gang, I was surprised when I heard how few of you are actually listening to Irish music on a weekly basis. Don't be afraid...There's nothing wrong with trying it out -- it won't hurt your ears, I promise. If you're willing to play it yourself, you should really be listening to the real thing! It will inform your playing -- you'll begin to hear the phrasing and the esprit that is unique to this type of music. Now, I'm not mocking you. I'm not harrassing you. Wellllll. Just a little. I just want to know how you can sit in an Irish slow session and tell me you don't listen to any of it?! My point is that if you're listening to all those other kinds of music, and playing them as well, what is holding you back from listening to the Irish stuff?

Are you afraid of it? (maybe.) Are we too damn serious for you? (not really, we're just concentrating.) Do you think you'll discover you aren't any good at it? (not likely!)

Your assignments, should you choose to accept them, are 1) to go out and get your hands on a current traditional Irish music recording.

By that I mean: De Danaan, Bothy Band, Planxty, Altan, Dervish, Open House, Patrick Street, Craobh Rua, Lunasa, Tommy Peoples, his daughter Siobhan Peoples, Mike & Mary Rafferty, Matt Cranitch, Chris Droney, Brian MacNamara, Michael Rooney & June MacCormack, and a million other people that aren't entering my brain right now. Go to the Catskills Irish Arts Week web page on the links section below and see who the instructors are, and buy a recording.

And 2) to listen to it. Just pop it in the player in the car. Don't study it, just let it wash over you. Enjoy it. You might even like it! We expect a full report on September 12!

Thanks for reading. As always, we do welcome your comments. Or reviews of concerts or albums. Or tips on good sessions to go to. Or whatever...

You're all invited to come and see us, Lawson (a trad Irish duo) on Saturday nights from 9-close at the Morgan House, 33 Main Street, Lee, MA. If Mike and Connie are feeling better they'll dance for you, and maybe tell a story. Food is awesome. No cover charge....

7 comments:

David said...

Josephine's is beautiful! I hadn't heard it in years, and I'd never known the title till now.

By any chance do you have Jerry Holland's Fiddlesticks cd? Track 17 is the most beautiful medley I've ever heard. It starts with Mrs. Crawford, then Over the Moor Among the Heather. Then it goes into faster tunes, but those first two slow tunes are heartbreaking.

Anonymous said...

No, David, I don't have any Jerry Holland recordings. He is a wonderful fiddle player/composer from Cape Breton, right?

David said...

Yes, that's him. He's good!

Anonymous said...

fyi, Josefins was written by Roger Tallroth (of Vasen), and can be found on their compilation album "Spirit" (Northside 6004). Worth hearing played on nyckelharpa.

fidilkid said...

Bear...Well, that would explain why it sounds so much better when they play it. I agree about the nyckelharpa -- but frankly, anything, including the Oscar Meyer Weiner Song is totally worth hearing on nyckelharpa! I think I've got that recording, but if not...have you got it for me to borrow? -- The Trad

Anonymous said...

What, the Oscar Meyer Wiener Song played on nyckelharpa? No, I don't have that record. Isn't that on the same album as the Tiny Tim cover of Stairway to Heaven?

But yes, I do have Josefins done by Vasen, if ya need it. Also downloadable from iTunes, should anyone be looking.

Anonymous said...

All right, smarty pants. You know what I mean. Yes, I might need the Vasen version if I can't find it. Thought I saw it around here somewhere...