10.12.2007

Nice Session!

Thanks to everybody who came out, especially George for teaching us tunes. It was great to see Pete and Diane again, too, and welcome to Sean and Dick! Jeff, Karen, Dave, Karin, and Colleen were there, too, so you see we had plenty of talent and a lot of laughs! There's room for more bodies, so if you see something on the list below that you like, plan on joining us for next time.

To our new friends, I should mention that usually we're a little bit more of a lively group, but I think we were all half asleep, so come back next time and I promise to be more cheery!

October 10
We worked on tunes by ear this time -- the photocopier doesn't like me...
Colerain Jig (with all the sharps!)
The Peacock's Feather (Dmaj) Hornpipe
some waltzes, including Gentle Maiden and Southwind. I think there were more, but I can't remember names. I think we all liked Gentle Maiden, so I'll bring copies next time.

Thank you to Pete and Sean for bringing treats....

I enjoyed getting the chance to really learn a tune by ear instead of blasting through it on paper. Keep practicing the tunes from this month, so you have them for next! I told Elaine in an e-mail that Trusty Companion and I loved King of the Fairies so much that we are playing it now in gigs!

Learning Tune List for November 14:
Reels: Father Kelly's Speed the Plough
Hornpipes: review of Peacock's Feather (DMaj) and we'll learn the minor Peacock's Feather
Set Dance: Jockey to the Fair
Waltz: Gentle Maiden
O'Carolan: Morghan Meghan
Jigs: still open for someone to pick! Send me an e-mail or comment on this post!

Just so we're playing the same version anyway, let me pull together some music for y'all to check out. I'll bring spots to the session next time, and not try to rely on the Old Songs copier. As I said, it doesn't like me much...I'm feeling kind of the same way about the copier, frankly!

Best wishes to Julie and her family on their trip to Kazakhsthan! We look forward to seeing you in November!

And don't forget, the East Coast Pipers Tionol (www.eastcoastpipers.com) is coming up on Oct. 26-28 in East Durham (Gavin's Golden Hill Resort). Don't miss a great concert, a chance for fiddle or pipes classes, and plenty of session action!

Happy Playing Y'All!
The Trad

2 comments:

David said...

I think we played Margaret's Waltz too.

Hey, speaking of "just so we're playing the same version".... there are times when I'm preparing for the next slow session and I find myself thinking, "The only sheet music I have for this tune is what's on thesession .org... but, is that the right version?" so I hesitate. So, for me, just knowing whether we're going to play a tune the same as or different than thesession .org would help. (And yes, this does mean that I'm learning to read sheet music!)

Anonymous said...

Well, isn't that the truth? Part of the dynamic of learning and sharing Irish music is being able to hear the variations, ultimately. To be able to listen closely enough to hear, discern and decide for yourself which version you'd like to use.

For our purposes, the easy way out is to say, "Yes, the Session version is the version we'll stick with." But I'm not sure I want to do that. We've noticed numerous times that a version on The Session can be flawed in certain ways -- significantly different from a local version or very awkward to play and perhaps the poster's own private version.

Here's my suggestion: let me go over the tunes, and indicate whether or not we'll use that version. If The Session version is significantly different, I will find a way to get you a version that is either accurate or closer to the version played around here (the Albany, NY area).

Dave, you rock the house! Learning spots as you go...excellent! BUT, don't start to depend on that. Like you told us the other night, your friend depends on them to get himself started (jog the memory, that kind of thing). I think that's a great way to use the sheet music! I feel comfortable recommending spots for that or for getting the skeleton of the tune, and then using recordings to figure out how to flesh the tune out.

You inspire me!